Jury to decide woman’s fate over break in and setting fire to house charges

DAY IN COURT: A woman will stand trial over a break-in, theft and fire.KIM Muir, 54, was committed for trial in Orange Local Court on Monday over the break-in at a house in Clinton Street in March last year where items were stolen and the premises damaged by fire.
Nanjing Night Net

Magistrate Terry Lucas in committing Muir for trial in the District Court in Orange told the accused he was of the opinion “a reasonably instructed jury” had a chance of convicting Muir.

Muir faced the court charged with four offences relating to the break-in and pleaded guilty to goods in custody suspected of being stolen, which was one of the charges.

On that count she was fined $300.

Director of Public Prosecutions solicitor Talitha Hennessey told the court the DPP had elected to run with the charges of break and enter and break and enter a house and destroy property in the District Court.

The fourth charge of damage property by fire was originally a back-up charge.

In committing Muir for trial Mr Lucas told the accused he had to ask her several questions and she wasn’t to answer until she deferred to her solicitor.

Mr Lucas also told Muir anything she decided to say in court on Monday could be taken down and used in evidence against her.

Police say Muir broke into the house by removing a flyscreen and smashing a window to gain entry.

During the break-in the accused allegedly stole several items, including a microwave oven.

The case has been listed for the next sitting of Orange District Court on April 29.

A date for the trial will then be determined.

Muir will be allowed to remain on bail until her next court appearance.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.