Region’s ‘mane’ man

HORSE SENSE: Ariah Park farmer Lyndsay Bromfield with his NSW volunteer of the year award.HONOURED and deeply humbled, LyndsayBromfield took to the stage at Sydney’s Grand Pavilion last week and received recognition for a lifetime of service.
Nanjing Night Net

Despite his understated way, you could tell this meant the world to the Ariah Park farmer, named Equestrian NSWVolunteer of the Year in front of a room full of his peers.

A giant of the Riverina showjumping scene, Mr Bromfield has helped keep the sport afloat in the region during a volunteering commitment that has spanned 45 years.

He said he was stunned at having his name called out as the winner.

“I was just overwhelmed; I didn’t appreciate it until three or four days later,” Mr Bromfield said.

“You think of all the people that work in NSW in all of the different horse sports.

“To be picked in front of them is a hard thing to take in.”

He cited his proudest achievement as supporting the Riverina showjumping scene.

“There’s not that many people involved as a sport in the Riverina,” Mr Bromfield said.

“It’s not like Sydney where there are thousands of people involved and they all have money behind them.

“It’s more of a hobby here and yet we produce some of the best horses and riders in Australia.”

A past president of the Riverina Equestrian Association, Mr Bromfield travelled to Sydney under the assumption he was in the running for the showjumpingvolunteer trophy, rather than the overall gong.

He was accompanied by his wife, Rita, sister Kaye, brother-in-law Bryan, treasurer of the Riverina Equestrian Association Christine Lucas and talented up and coming rider Georgie Lucas.

Radio goliath Alan Jones presented Mr Bromfield with his award.

Mr Bromfield is a level two showjumping course designer and a level two judge, officiating at about 15 showjumping events annually.

Suspended Titans players cleared to return

CAUSE TO CELEBRATE: Beau Falloon, Greg Bird and three other suspended Titans players are clear to face the Newcastle Knights this weekend.
Nanjing Night Net

The five Gold Coast Titans players suspended in the NRL cocaine scandal have been cleared to return to first team duties with the NRL club.

State of Origin stars Greg Bird and Dave Taylor, reigning Titans player of the year Beau Falloon and outside backs Jamie Dowling and Kalifa Faifai Loa will now be available for selection against Newcastle on Sunday.

All five players have missed the Titans’ first two fixtures of the season after being stood down in February when it emerged they were facing cocaine supply charges after an investigation by the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the club revealed legal advice from senior Sydney QC Tony Bannon had concluded that the best course of action by the Titans is to hold off on any potential further disciplinary action until the legal process has been resolved.

Bird and Taylor are both expected to be named by Titans coach Neil Henry in his team to face the Knights while the other three players could come into contention for bench positions.

The five players are part of a group of eight current or former Titans caught up in the scandal while Queensland Reds rugby union player Karmichael Hunt has already been fined $2500 in a Gold Coast court after he pleaded guilty to four counts of possessing cocaine as a result of the QCCC investigation.

The Titans’ statement said Mr Bannon had considered all relevant information, including police reports, individual player contracts and the NRL’s rules and code of conduct.

“On the basis of this advice the board has resolved to allow the charged players to return to playing and training duties pending the outcome of the legal process,” the statement said.

“In accepting the legal advice in relation to the specific circumstances of these charges, the board reaffirms its determination to continue to take strong action as and when required to protect and enhance the reputation of the Gold Coast Titans in the eyes of the community and the sporting world generally.

“Should any of the current allegations ultimately be proven in the courts, in assessing any subsequent disciplinary action the board will be mindful of the serious reputational and financial damage the club has already suffered.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Excellent enterprise sees Jamestown students raise money for schoolPHOTOS

Excellent enterprise sees Jamestown students raise money for school | PHOTOS Students Shelby Owbridge, front, left, Shaun Hourihan, Hayden Harvey and Maygan Montgomery are pictured with helpers Sandra “Gran” Johnson, back, left, Ros Hoffrichter, and Jo Reid at the donut van.
Nanjing Night Net

Ros Hoffrichter and Margie Symonds helped Jamestown Enterprise Team students raise money for the community school.

All money raised from the donut van is used for special needs students and the music program. Recent purchases have included a Yamaha drum kit.

Despite temperatures in the high 30s, volunteers and students of the Jamestown Enterprise Team were still keen to work in the donut van, set up each fortnight by Margie and Ian Symonds on the town’s main street.

Despite temperatures in the high 30s, volunteers and students of the Jamestown Enterprise Team were still keen to work in the donut van, set up each fortnight by Margie and Ian Symonds on the town’s main street.

Despite temperatures in the high 30s, volunteers and students of the Jamestown Enterprise Team were still keen to work in the donut van, set up each fortnight by Margie and Ian Symonds on the town’s main street.

TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Busselton student represents state for volunteer work

Outstanding young women: Busselton Senior High School’s Keeley Milner, Cape Naturaliste College’s Samantha Baillie, Cornerstone Christian College’s Emily Robinson and Noni Oldfield from MacKillop Catholic College receive their awards. Georgiana Molloy Grammar School’s Alicia Day was also a recipient but was unable to attend the breakfast.CORNERSTONE Christian College year 12 student Emily Robinson has been awarded by the Dunsborough Zonta Club for her outstanding work running a weekly girls youth group.
Nanjing Night Net

Emily was awarded with a $1000 cheque at the Dunsborough Zonta Club International Women’s Day breakfast last week.

The award category, Young Women in Public Affairs sponsor Laurance Wines owner Dianne Laurance presented Emily with a cheque, rose and certificate.

Dunsborough Zonta Club president Linley Scott said Emily’s application had been presented to two thirds of Australia’s Zonta club’s which encompasses 34 groups.

“If Emily is successful in the next round she will be presented with $1,000 USD and then go into the Zonta International competition which awards $4,000 USD,” Ms Scott said.

Emily said she was shocked at first, but very honoured to win the award.

“It was so nice to berecognisedfor the things that I love to do,” Emily said.

At 17-years-old Emily has been running, for three years, a year eight weekly girls youth group.

She also volunteers at the Core Youth group on a Friday night and helped establish the adoption of two sponsor children for her school.

“Most of my volunteer work was done at my church, however I have been volunteering at theiron-manfor the past three years,” Emily said.

Emily is looking forward to studying at university next year and will save the $1000 award money for her living expenses.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Letters for Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Woolmers
Nanjing Night Net

WHY on earth would you spend so much money on a Woolmers visitor’s centre and car park underground.

The house itself could use that to keep it in pristine condition and the outbuildings.

Build a visitor centre to tone in with the original building with heritage appearance and just put in a bitumen car park to take more cars.

There is plenty of space around the property to do this, or a gravel car park to keep up with the old style look. Such a waste of money.

—VICKI HAY, Kayena.

Technology

IF Jack Sonnemann (Letters, March 13) believes wireless internet is “the future” or that wireless technology is capable of servicing large population centres, then he might wish to brush up on the real-world limitations concerning available bandwidth in the wireless spectrum.

Unless we discover new laws of physics, wireless technology (which relies upon wired infrastructure anyway!) will never do what FTTP can.

—PAUL CUMMINS, New Town.

Deceit

CELEBRITY culture is all pervasive.

Facebook in its own way captures the child in us that continues to say, well into adulthood: ‘Look at me’.

From Anders Breivik to Jake Bilardi there is a familiar thread: seclusion, the internet, a festering and nurtured anger that ultimately determined a very violent and very public denouement. Celebrity of a different kind, but one that nonetheless commands instant and dramatic attention.

It just may be that is not the cause in this instance but the ultimate vehicle to consummate a deluded, juvenile and selfishly constructed deceit.

—TONY NEWPORT, Hillwood.

Woolstore

I’VE been watching the Woolstore being demolished these last few days.

A perfectly sound structure, wonderfully attractive, full of Launceston’s economic history and heritage.

An act of pure barbaric vandalism.

Everyone involved should hang their heads.

—JIM DICKENSON, Launceston.

TT Line

I COULDN’T believe what I heard on the evening TV news (March 10) regarding the TT Line Ferry upgrades.

A spokesman said, ‘‘We want to drag as much money out of the passengers as we can’’.

It’s meant to be a ferry service; an extension of the National Highway Network; not a cash cow or cruise ship.

Their vision should be to efficiently transport as many people as possible over Bass Strait at minimal cost.

Maybe they should run one of the two ferries at an austerity level to see what the public really want?

— TONY IMISON, Exton.

Wilderness

I AM not a deep green eco terrorist. I am someone who moved to Tasmania to live in a state that has some of the best landscapes and accessible wilderness in the world.

It has been recognised internationally, parts of our island have been deemed worthy of world heritage.

Now the state government wants to ignore all this and cash in on the values and significance this wilderness has to offer.

They are treating this asset as if it was theirs to dispose of as they want.

This wilderness obviously is not theirs to do with at will, it certainly is not just mine, it is ours to administer and pass on to as yet unborn generations as a wilderness, one of the few left in the world.

If you would like to be involved, even if you may never set foot in the rainforests of Tasmania, now is the time to be heard.

The Draft Tasmanian Wilderness Management Plan is open for comment.

Have your say, as an Australian, make it count.

— PHIL AND JILL LONG, Margate.

Media

THE media did not hound Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard as claimed (Letters, March 12).

In fact they glossed over and pushed many of their disasters under the carpet, like the fact that more than 1200 people drowned at sea and 2000 children put in detention, both of which got very little attention while Labor was in power.

But the current government is criticised even after stopping the boats and reducing the number of children in detention to less than 200.

The relentless media campaign against the Abbott government borders on ridiculous, any slip of the tongue or wink of the eye is better headlines than the financial state of the country.

If the media stuck to reporting stories rather than trying to create them, we would all have a clearer picture of the true state of affairs.

As for my “beloved” prime minister, I do not blindly follow any politician or party, they all have faults, however, unlike some, I am able to recognise those faults, as well as their qualities.

I also take the time to read between the lines of all politician’s statements to understand their full meaning.

— KERRY FOLEY, Launceston.

Asylum seekers

HOW wonderful to have someone of the calibre of Julian Burnside championing the plight of the asylum seekers in Manus Island and Narau.

Now that the boats have been stopped, one aspect of the present government’s policy has been achieved.

The humanitarian approach to those held in detention still has to be addressed.

With boredom, hopelessness and questionable treatment, it is little wonder that rioting occurs.

For Mr Burnside to have three boxes of letters addressed to asylum seekers in the hope of lifting their spirits (sent at personal expense) returned unopened is beyond belief.

He had run a similar letter writing campaign in the 2000s and was told by refugees it lifted their spirits.

Surely the processing of the present detainees could be hastened and those seen as genuine asylum seekers freed to any accepting Australian community.

Tasmania has already signalled its willingness with a suitable site ready to receive them and a

community ready to offer a welcome and support.

These people have already suffered enough and deserve better treatment from us – they are not

criminals, have come here in the genuine hope of a better and safer life as they struggle with the

effects of the devastating trauma they have experienced.

Surely we as a community can support Mr Burnside’s efforts.

— M. CAMPBELL-SMITH, Newstead.

Bringing them home

I NOTE the Federal Opposition’s interest in backing calls for Australia’s war dead to be brought home from Malaysia,(The Examiner, February 20).

Late last year Major General David Ferguson AM, CSC, wrote to our Prime Minister begging him to have our soldiers repatriated from the Terendak Garrison Cemetery in the Malaysian city of Malacca.

It seems ludicrous that this country would expect next of kin to fund the return of a veteran’s body to Australia, yet this is what occurred at the beginning of the war in South Vietnam.

There are 18 of our Diggers who were killed in Action in Vietnam interred in the Terendak Cemetery, plus others who died of wounds and/or accident.

At the Kamunting Road Christian Cemetery in Taiping, Malaysia, 28 Australian Diggers who fought the Communist Terrorist threat during the “Malayan Emergency”, have laid there in four different locations since the 1950s.

Even though proper commemoration is difficult because of the graves’ locations, the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association is proud to conduct a Poppy Service at Kamunting Road every year in June, and in 2014, the association also visited the Terendak Cemetery.

These cemeteries in Malaysia are not official Commonwealth War Graves Cemeteries, however, the Office of Australian War Graves has accepted responsibility of looking after them, but my belief is, our Diggers should be brought home.

— KEN MCNEILL, Beauty Point.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.